Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » S10 Offroad Specific » Engine Swap

Forum rules

Pictures should be posted in the Picture Post forum only. Links are permitted here. Posts containing pictures in this section are subject to deletion.

Post subject: Big Block Chevy in an S-10 Blazer
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:39 pm 
205's

I have looked all over this site and not found the info I am looking for. I was curious about the motor mounts, exhaust (custom headers), and cooling of the 454 I got if I put it in an S-10 blazer. If I run an aluminum radiator like if you were swapping in a 350 into the blazer, two puller fans and one pusher fan, no inner fenders, a cowl hood, and an aluminum water pump will that all work to keep it cool? I want to swap in the Dana 60 and FF 14 bolt I have but I cant decided if I want to do leaf springs or a four-link set-up and coil overs. I just want a small body but big enough to be comfy for extended periods. Along with an interior cage and racing bucket seats. Plus having all one ton running gear so it dont break down. I have an s10 pickup but it aint going to have enough room.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm 
Staff Member

JTR mounts bolt right up... 69 Chevelle exhast manifolds are the only one I know work, otherwise custom one off headers... (Try header be Ed) Cooling, the radiator must be installed in the forward position... (Aka; inside the core support instead of against it...) If you run a b-lift you can fit a fullsize 4-core radiator inside it if done correctly... A flex fan be used as well as electrics in this position but it's tight...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:03 pm 
205's

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at running some headers that go over the frame and run down under the body, sorta like the White Knight. Yeah I was also looking at running a body lift I just for got to put that in there. I have just always wanted the big block so I bought it before I bought anything else. Now though I also have a 350 but I just really want to run it. I am still looking at all kinds of info. I also cant decide on a body, my mind changes day to day. I wanted a Jeep, but everybody and there brother has one. They are capable vehicles but I like being different. I got the S-10 p/u but scared I wont have room in it once I got the cage and seats in it and I really don't want to run an exo cage. So Im working on a deal to get a blazer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 pm 
31's

after being on my third blazer i would deffinately suggest the 4 door, even if you dont have back seats in it, its got lots more room.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:12 pm 
Staff Member

Quote:
like the White Knight.

Important note, she uses a K5 style frame with the S10 body... This may also be your best bet... If you start with the K5 style frame all the drivetrain bolts right in... It may be easier for you to simply fabricate up the mounts for the body instead of all the other modifications if your starting from scratch...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 pm 
31's

there is a guy here in town who dropped a 454 into an s-10, and used a header kit to make his own, as far as cooling you dont have to use two pullers one pusher, in fact the pusher would work against the two pullers, he just used one larger diameter puller, used a gm four core radiator, and ran his steerign right through the headers, it runs and drives fine

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:06 pm 
31's

when his engine torqes up it doesnt hit his steering shaft???

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 pm 
31's

no, hes had no trouble with it

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:56 am 
Staff Member

Quote:
in fact the pusher would work against the two pullers

This is not at all correct if they are installed correctly...

Pullers mount behind the radiator to pull the air through......
Pushers mount in front of the radiator to push the air through...
Aka; they both move air in the same direction when mounted correctly...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:59 am 
31's

they can only move so many cfm's of air thou, and if one moves less then its doing nothing at all, if they all move the same, then they are simply moving the same cfm's of air, therefor making one set of the useless

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:00 am 
31's

i wasnt trying to say one flowed air one way and one the other

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:11 am 
Staff Member

I'm not positive but I think what you say would only be right if there wasn't anything between the fans. Since there is an obstruction in the path the flow each one is capable of is reduced. Again, I'm not sure how fans are rated, but I imagine it is free flowing into the measurement device. Since it would be impossible to guess what radiator design would be used.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:14 am 
31's

i understand what you are saying, it just depends on the sizes of fans you use, and if they are overlapping, if they are not overlapping then they wwill be fine, if they are, which i dont know how big of fan is planning on being used, but they wont do much good at all if they are overlapping

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:17 am 
31's

i just know on applications ive seen them used on, they dont cool any faster on a warm engine, they were only pulling more electricity, when removed and the engien heated up, wihtout the front ones worked just the same, i am also going off of a car that was built simply for racing, and it is driven on rare occasion to car shows and whatnot. also my friends s-10 with the big block is only running one electric puller

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 am 
31's

he also has used his truck in mud drags, truck pulls, and general burning of tires, lol, and he runs it rather hot, ive seen his header turn orange, and not overheat the truck, one puller has worked fine for him so far. i also called him up, and he said that he swapped out the 4 core he first installed, and used a griffin. he said no benifit he can tell so far, he just got offered money and the griffin radiator for his, so he took it

Board index » S10 Offroad Specific » Engine Swap